Wealth Education Fellows
Fellows of the Institute include those advisors that have met credential requirements and have received a “Fellow” certification from the Wealth Education Fellows Board. They are uniquely prepared to educate and serve advisors and clients through their own regional representation of the SCI platform. Collaboration between SCI Fellows allows each of us to better serve the Wealth Strategies planning needs of our clients. They also continue to share and teach with other Fellows and Members.
Lori Adasiewicz-Palmatier, Esq.
Partner, Bay Laurel Law Group, LLP
Ms. Adasiewicz-Palmatier is a wealth strategies attorney and partner with Bay Laurel Law Group, LLP in San Mateo, CA. Lori has practiced exclusively in the areas of estate and business planning and administration since 1998, when she earned her JD from Hasting College of the Law. Lori serves on the Board of the Peninsula Estate Planning council and is a Laureate Circle Member and Fellow of the Southern California Institute.
Lori on SCI
Lori on Bay Laurel Law
Gregory R. Banner, CFP®, CLU®, CRTP
Vice President – Asset Preservation Strategies, Inc.
Mr. Banner, Vice President of Asset Preservation Strategies, Inc., received his Bachelors Degree in Business Administration from Oregon State University in 1987, specializing in Finance and Economics. He then obtained his Series 7 securities license and began working as a Registered Representative in the securities industry.
In 1993, he joined Asset Preservation Strategies as a Financial Planner and in 1999 he completed his CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER™ professional studies through the College of Financial Planning in Denver, receiving the right to use the CFP® mark of distinction.
Greg is also licensed as a Registered Investment Advisor with Asset Preservation Strategies, Inc. and is fully licensed as an insurance broker. He obtained his Registered Tax Preparer license with the State of California in 1995, allowing him to prepare income tax returns and give tax advice on investments.
In 2001, Greg graduated from the Advanced Wealth Strategist Planner program of the Esperti Peterson Institute at Michigan State University. He received his Chartered Life Underwriter (CLU®) designation in 2006. Greg is a Fellow of the Southern California Institute and teaches financial, tax and business planning locally and nationally on a regular basis. He serves as an expert resource for the media and has been quoted in the San Diego Business Journal, Wealth Manager magazine and Research magazine.
Greg specializes in working collaboratively with all of the clients’ advisors, providing complete planning services which include advanced business planning, business exit strategies, investment management, advanced executive planning, retirement planning, tax reduction strategies, insurance and estate planning strategies for both individuals and businesses.
When not at the office, Greg can frequently be found as a professional sports photographer, on the sidelines of various sporting events. He has photographed for many organizations and his work has appeared on everything from baseball trading cards to Sports Illustrated Magazine. Greg also enjoys spending time at the beach with his family and participating in many outdoor activities.
Greg on SCI
David K. Cahoone, J.D., LL.M.
Highest professional ranking (AV) by Martindale-Hubbell. Admitted to Florida Bar, 1985.
Eckerd College (Bachelor&aposs Degree in Political Science, 1981)
Western New England College School of Law (Juris Doctor, 1985)
University of Florida College of Law (Master of Laws, “LL.M.” in Taxation, 1986)
- From 1992 to Present Principal in the law firm of David K. Cahoone, PA.The David K. Cahoone, P.A., Law Firm has an Of Counsel relationship with Johnson, Browning & Clayton.David was born and raised in Southern New England. He has lived in Sarasota since 1991. He focuses his practice on helping individuals, families and business owners develop and implement plans to achieve their unique goals and objectives.Individuals, families and business owners have different planning needs. Each will be concerned with bringing order to their affairs as well as passing on to loved ones their goals, values, and passion for life’s important matters.Families of modest means need to provide for their physical and financial concerns, as well as long term care. Families who are members of the great American middle class need to protect their hard-earned assets, to take advantage of planning available under existing tax laws, and to create opportunities for their children and grandchildren. Affluent families must concern themselves with the same issues, as well as the stewardship of their wealth, their enduring significance and impact on society, and the responsibilities they wish to pass on to their family members.David looks forward to working collaboratively with other attorneys, CPAs, financial advisors, and insurance professionals to serve the specialized planning needs of individuals, families and business owners.
- From 1996 to 2008 Partner in the law firm of Esperti Peterson & Cahoone and a member of the estate planning consulting firm of Esperti Peterson & Cahoone Consulting, Inc. Esperti Peterson & Cahoone limits its practice to high net-worth individuals throughout the United States whose estates typically are in excess of $25 million.
- From 1996 to 2004, Professor in the three-year, post-doctoral Masters Program provided through the Esperti Peterson Institute to train selected estate planning attorneys, financial advisors and accountants in sophisticated estate planning strategies.
- For four years, the host, moderator and faculty member of Advanced Studies for Estate and Wealth Planning, a one-year program provided through the Esperti Peterson Institute to train attorneys in advanced planning strategies.
- Owner and faculty member of the Advanced Wealth Studies Institute, LLC, providing high quality custom educational programs, presentations and assistance to financial advisors, attorneys and insurance professionals to promote excellence in estate, financial and wealth strategies planning.
- Faculty member of the Chartered Wealth Advisor (CWA) Program which provides ongoing education and support to financial advisors. The CWA program is offered through the Academy of Multidisciplinary Practice and is accredited by The Estate and Wealth Strategies Institute at Michigan State University.
- Past President and Director of Education for The Esperti Peterson Institute.
- Sarasota County Bar Association
- Florida Bar Association (Member, Sections on: Business Law, Tax Law, Real Property, Probate and Trust Law).
David is a frequent speaker at local and national programs attended by attorneys, financial advisors, CPAs and insurance professionals. He teaches on many areas of wealth strategies planning and the effective collaboration of professionals to provide the support and advice needed in today’s complex world.
- Protect and Enhance Your Estate; New York: McGraw-Hill, (2012)
- The Objective Guide to Estate Planning and Life Insurance; Sarasota: Quantum Press, (2012)
- Strictly Business: Planning Strategies for Privately Owned Businesses; Denver: Quantum Press, (2002)
- The Living Trust Workbook: How You and Your Legal Advisors Can Design, Fund, and Maintain Your Living Trust Plan and Secure Your Family’s Future; New York: Viking-Penguin, (2001)
- How to Work Ethically With Other Professionals; Broker World, (September 2002)
- Post EGTRRA Life Insurance Planning; The Tax Advisor, (August 2002)
- The State of MDP; Estate Planning Magazine, (June 2002)
- The Impact of the Economic Growth and Tax Relief Reconciliation Act of 2001 on Existing Planning” Journal of Financial Service Professionals, (March 2002)
- “What’s New in Estate Wealth and Transfer Planning” The Southern Arizona Estate Planning Council, Tucson, Arizona (April 2006)
- “Interdisciplinary Practice: Working Together with Other Professionals” The Financial Planning Association Orange County Chapter, Irvine, California (November 17, 2004)
- “Funding the Purchase of Life Insurance in 2004 and Beyond Using Language Techniques Including Limited Partnerships, GRATs, CLATs and Sales to IGTs.” School of Life 2004, Orlando, Florida (October 29, 2004)
- “Integrating GRATs into Estate Plans in 2004 and Beyond” Wealth Counsel, Chicago, Illinois (October 22, 2004)
- “In’s and Out’s of the Charitable Lead Trust” National Committee on Planning Giving, Dallas, Texas (October 16, 2004)
- “Planning with Charitable Lead Trusts” The Institute for Dynamic Wealth Innovation, Chicago Illinois (July 24, 2004)
- “Motivating Clients in Uncertain Times” Wealth Counsel Spring Conference Plenary Session, Las Vegas, Nevada (April 30, 2004).
- “Tax Law Updates” “Dealing with IRS Issues Regarding FLP& and LLC”
- “Testamentary Charitable Lead Trusts,” “Ethical Issues in Estate Planning” The Teton Institute, Nashville, Tennessee (March 19 & 20, 2004).
- “Current Developments in Estate Planning” The Southern California Institute, San Diego, California (January 30, 2004).
- “Motivate Your Clients to Plan Today Using Charitable Lead Trusts” The Southern California Institute, San Diego, California (June 5, 2003).
- “Changes Impacting Financial Planning Advisors and their Clients” Minnesota Society of Financial Service Professionals (May 2003).
- Two Day Charitable Lead Trust Workshop, NNEPA Spring 2003 Collegium, Orlando, Florida (April 28 – 29, 2003)
- “Planning for Constant change – the 2001 Tax Act” NNEPA Spring 2003 Collegium, Orlando, Florida (May 3, 2003).
- “Planned Giving Made Simple” Ronald McDonald House, Orlando, Florida (April 30, 2003).
- “Planning and Drafting Under Repeal (Or Not),” “Current Developments in Estate
- “Planning” Anaheim, California Winter Education Forum (February 5, 2003).
- “MDP Coming to a Jurisdiction Near You” NNEPA Spring 2002 Collegium, Reno, Nevada (April 13, 2002).
- “Planning under the 2001 Tax Act” NNEPA Fall 2001 Collegium, Minneapolis, Minnesota (October 31, 2001).
- “HR-8 Will it Repeal the Estate Tax” NNEPA Spring 2001 Collegium, San Diego, California (May 1, 2001).
- “The Future of Multidisciplinary Practice (MDP)” National Association of Philanthropic Planners, Conference on Philanthropy, Albuquerque, New Mexico. (November 2001)
- “The Dynasty Trust” The Suncoast Advisory Group, Sarasota, Florida (March 2000).
- “Charitable Lead Trusts” MDP Virtual University – Estate Planning Course. www.mdpacademy.com
- “Ethics: Working with Other Professionals” MDP Virtual University – Business Succession Planning Course. www.mdpacademy.com.
- “Planning Under the Tax Relief Act of 2001” MDP Virtual University – Estate Planning Course. www.mdpacademy.com.
- “Net Unrealized Appreciation” with Robert Keebler, AICPA Webcast.
FEATURED OR QUOTED
David has been featured or quoted in many media publications or forums including:
- Money Matters Financial Network Radio, Nationally Syndicated
- BCENTRAL Radio, Legal Steps A New Business Owner Needs To Take Before Opening Their Doors
- One for the Money Radio
- Common Ground, WZLX-FM Radio/Boston, MA
- Microbusiness, KCEP-FM Radio/Las Vegas, NV
- Wake Up Call, WFTW Radio/Pensacola, FL
- WBZ News Radio/Boston, MA
- AP Broadcast Radio, Nationally Syndicated
- KFWB-AM Radio/Los Angeles, CA
- First Biz Television Studio/New York
- CABLETALK Radio Network, Nationally Syndicated
- KUIK-AM Radio/Portland, Oregon
- AM Chronicles Radio, Nationally Syndicated
- Associated Press Radio
- Working in Tandem, by Lynn Vincent, Advisortoday.com The Financial Planning Association’s News, May 2003
- Fighting Family Feuds, CNN Money Online, www.money.cnn.com, May 17, 2002
- 4 Steps to Legally Protect Your Startup, Michelle Collins for CanadaOne.com
- Sunset Clause Is Bushwacking Estate Planning, By Karen Krebsbach, Bank Investment Marketing, September 2001
- Let the Buyer Beware of One-Stop Shopping” Financial Times, August 30, 2001
- “Charitable Trust Compendium” Denver: Esperti Peterson Institute, 1994.
- “Joint Trusts are a Good Planning Tool for a Married Couple” Estate Planning, May/June 1993.
- Generations: Planning Your Legacy. Denver: Esperti Peterson Institute, 1998.
- Irrevocable Trusts: Analysis with Forms. Boston: Warren, Gorham & Lamont, 1998.
- Wealth Enhancement & Preservation: Practical Answers from America&aposs Experts. Denver: Esperti Peterson Institute, 1994. 2d edition, 1996.
- LEGACY:Plan, Protect & Preserve Your Estate. Denver: Esperti Peterson Institute, 1996.
Married to Donna with two energetic and always curious daughters, Sarah Jayne and Samantha Emily.
Salvatore M. Capizzi
Chief Sales & Marketing Officer – Dunham & Associates Investment Counsel, Inc.
Mr. Capizzi is Chief Sales & Marketing Officer for Dunham & Associates Investment Counsel, Inc. Mr. Capizzi is a seasoned industry veteran with over 26 years of financial services experience. He possesses a wealth of expertise in global sales and distribution leadership, marketing, business development and strategic planning.
Sal on SCI
Sal on Dunham & Associates
Stephanie S. Downer, Esq., LL.M.
Attorney – Paeske Law PC
Stephanie was formerly the Managing Attorney for Strazzeri Manicni’s Wealth Strategies Planning Department, the Contested Matters Department, FamilyCounselor™ Department, and assists the FamilyCare™ Estate and FamilyCare™ Business Departments. Stephanie manages the affluent clientele and complex casework through the Wealth Strategies Process, and additionally helps to counsel clients and review documents in the estate and business planning departments.
Stephanie has gained experience in all departments of Strazzeri Mancini LLP including Estate Administration, Estate Planning, Litigation, and Wealth Strategies Planning. Stephanie also facilitated the operation, marketing of, and creation of marketing materials for the Southern California Institute.
She is now a counseling attorney for the Paeske Law team. She is using her experience to serve her own clients at her new firm.
As an active volunteer, Stephanie served as the Vice Chair of the USD Pro Bono Legal Advocates Program and as a legal volunteer to the San Diego Volunteer Lawyer’s Program, AIDS Clinic. She enjoys international travel, running by the ocean, surfing on camping trips with her husband, Richard Downer, along the California and Baja coastlines, and cooking (but especially eating) big dinners with friends.
Stephanie on SCI
Stephanie on Strazzeri Mancini
Jeffrey A. Dunham
Founder & CEO, Dunham & Associates Investment Counsel, Inc.
Mr. Dunham is Founder and CEO of Dunham & Associates Investment Counsel, Inc. (Dunham & Associates) and Chairman of Dunham Trust Company. He also serves as a Trustee, President, and Principal Executive Officer of Dunham Funds. Mr. Dunham’s investment expertise spans more than 25 years, dating to when he started a family of private funds and built Dunham & Associates upon the premise of performance-based advisory compensation—a radical idea at the time—now a model for others. Beginning his investment career in 1977, Mr. Dunham acquired real estate for investors and his own account.
As President of San Diego-based JAD Properties between 1979 and 1989, Mr. Dunham continued hands-on management of real estate holdings. Prior to becoming Founding Partner of Dunham & Associates, he was Partner in the investment firm of McKewon Securities and worked with Enterprise Management Company, a venture capital affiliate of McKewon Securities. Mr. Dunham earned a BS degree in Business Administration with an emphasis in Finance from San Diego State University. He holds FINRA Series 3, 4, 7, 24, 53, and 63 registrations.
Jeff on SCI
Jeff on Dunham & Associates
Trey Fairman, J.D., LL.M.
Senior Wealth and Insurance Planning Strategist, Millennium Brokerage Group
Trey partners with financial advisors and adds additional client value by providing insurance-based solutions that further strategic estate and financial planning goals and objectives. Trey’s partners are able to evolve into more well rounded wealth managers by identifying new opportunities, deploying a consistent insurance management process, and making the insurance process scalable and more cost-competitive for their clientele.
With a 20-year plus history of education in his area of expertise, Trey is better able to understand and assist his partners with the challenges of an ever-evolving and dynamic strategic, wealth planning environment. He earned a Bachelors of Science in Finance from the University of Delaware and his law degree (J.D.) from the University of San Diego. After passing the California bar exam, Trey returned to the University of San Diego to obtain his Master of Laws of Taxation (LL.M.) in 2001 success. Trey began his financial services career in 1992 as a Brokerage Representative for Connecticut Mutual Life in Philadelphia. Trey joined the San Diego office of R.E. Lee in 1997 and spent the next 17 years with that organization as it grew and evolved into Highland Capital Brokerage.
Trey on SCI
John L. Jenkins, AEP®, EA, CFP®
Founder, President, and CEO of Asset Preservation Strategies, Inc.
A San Diego native, John has been a financial professional since 1982. He holds BA and MA degrees from San Diego State University and has developed a strong financial foundation by pursuing several professional certifications and designations. In 1985, he completed his CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER™ professional studies through the College for Financial Planning in Denver and was admitted to the Directory of CFP Practitioners in 1993.
John also holds a Masters Degree in Wealth Strategies Planning from the Estate and Wealth Strategies Institute at Michigan State University and is endowed as a full Fellow of the Esperti Peterson Institute. He is a Certified Agent for the California Partnership for Long Term Care and an Enrolled Agent (EA), having successfully passed the exam administered by the IRS. He is also a Laureate of the Southern California Institute.
John has authored or co-authored the following books and publications:
- Minimum Retirement Plan Distribution Rules When Someone
- Estate Planning with IRAs for California Professionals
- 21st Century Wealth
- Living & Learning: Achieve Retirement and Education Security
John was an Adjunct Faculty member of the National Endowment for Financial Education and is recognized in both “Who’s Who in California” and “Who’s Who in Finance.” He served on the board of the San Diego Chapter of the Financial Planning Association (FPA), is a board member and past president of the San Diego Estate Planning Council, and as a member of the Estates and Trusts Committee for Rady Children’s Hospital Foundation.
John is a member of FPA and the CA Society of Tax Consultants. He adheres to their strict codes of ethics and obtains a minimum of 60 hours of continuing education every two years to retain his member and licensing status.
John is frequently quoted in the financial press, including Financial Planning, Investment News, The San Diego Union-Tribune, the La Jolla Light and the San Diego Business Journal. San Diego Magazine named him a Five Star, Best in Client Satisfaction Wealth Manager in 2007 and 2008.
John is the proud father of four children and a grandfather to one granddaughter. In his spare time he plays guitar and sings, on occasion professionally. He enjoys movies, cycling and culinary pursuits.
John on SCI
John on Asset Preservation Strategies
Jeffrey Kates, MBA
Partner at The Founders Group, President and Owner – JIK Consulting Inc.
Jeffrey is a partner in The Founders Group.
Jeffrey is also the president and owner of JIK Consulting Inc., a business advisory services firm specializing in workouts & turnarounds, interim CFO work and Mergers and Acquisitions.
Previously, Jeffrey worked as a CFO for a number of years at both a small private healthcare company and a medium sized pharmaceutical company. In addition, Jeffrey has consulted for Fortune 500 Companies such as Barclays Capital, AT&T and Toys R Us.
Jeffrey brings extensive accounting, financial reporting, operations and process improvement experience in a multitude of industries and corporate environments. For over 25 years, Jeffrey has advised companies through workouts and turnarounds. His strong professional intuition and business acumen combined with his interpersonal and communication skills allow him to integrate and interact with management and stakeholders and immediately add significant value to the business.
Jeffrey holds a Bachelor of Arts from the University of Western Ontario in London, Canada as well as a Master’s in Business Administration from Hofstra University where he graduated with distinction.
Master’s in Business Administration (MBA) from Hofstra University
Certified Exit Planning Advisor (CEPA) from the Exit Planning Institute (EPI)
Member of The Turnaround Management Association (TMA)
Member of the Exit Planning Institute (EPI)
Member of the Financial Executives Networking Group (FENG)
Jeffrey lives in Freehold, New Jersey with his wife Jennifer and their two daughters. In his spare time, when not traveling the country in support of his daughter’s cheer-leading team, Jeffrey is an avid golfer and a diehard Montreal Canadiens hockey fan.
Executive Director – Southern California Institute, Partner – The Founders Group
Shelley is the Executive Director for the Southern California Institute (SCI); responsible for driving seven high-quality, collaborative, educational, and informational programs. Shelley’s unique combination of experience, passion, and creativity are an excellent contribution for SCI’s objective of helping wealth advisors attract and engage clients through collaborative efforts with other advisors. With over 20 years of financial management experience, Shelley often educates advisors from all disciplines through SCI programs and speaking engagements at affiliated organizations.
Shelley has been engaged in the financial services industry since 1986; having held various executive management positions including Vice President of Investments, Compliance Officer, Operations Manager, Sr. Management Consultant, and Business Development Manager. Born and raised in Kansas City, MO (most recently Overland Park KS), Shelley moved to the San Diego area in 2007 while employed with Banc of America, Inc. During her 5 year tenure with BofA, Shelley was second in command of 80 branch locations with 112 employees producing $25 million; extending her industry experience to virtually all areas of financial services, including branch management, regulatory compliance audits, sales supervision, business plan coaching, operational efficiency and national policy review. In addition, Shelley has successfully provided independent compliance and management consulting for financial advisors and broker dealers.
Prior to BofA, Shelley held various management positions with Prudential Securities , DST Systems, and George K. Baum & Company in the Kansas City area. Over the years, Shelley has also participated in the management of several company mergers and acquisitions, numerous financial advisor transitions, training and development programs, back office automation and administration, and served on Prudential’s National Operations Advisory Council for over 3 years.
Shelley currently holds the series 7, 8, 63, and 65 designations.
Shelley and her fiance, Kent, are loving life in San Diego. Combined they have 5 children ranging from 4 to 24 years of age. In her free time Shelley enjoys exercising, entertaining, decorating, reading, going to the beach, and hanging out with the kids (and dogs)!
Shelley on SCI
Stephen J. Mancini, Esq.
Principal & Founder: Law Firm of Strazzeri Mancini LLP
Educator and author, Steve is an Instructor for the Academy of Multidisciplinary Practices, courses accredited by the Estate and Wealth Strategies Institute at Michigan State University; Instructor, Paralegal Courses; Speaker for Continuing Education for Financial Professionals, including Certified Public Accountants, Attorneys, and Financial Planners. Laureate Circle Member and Fellow of the Southern California Institute.
Steve on SCI
Steve on Strazzeri Mancini
Alejandro Matuk, Esq.
Of Counsel, Law Firm of Strazzeri Mancini LLP
He started his professional career in the San Diego City Attorney’s Office. Mr. Matuk was a Senior Deputy City Attorney for the City of San Diego in the City Attorney’s Civil Litigation for eight years. Mr. Matuk was the principal attorney in numerous cases involving property, zoning, government contracts, land use, personal injury and various governmental matters. Mr. Matuk also served as Special Deputy Counsel for the Redevelopment Agency of the City of San Diego, negotiating and litigating eminent domain cases for the Agency.
Alex on SCI
Alex on Strazzeri Mancini
President and CEO of Comprehensive Financial Group
Jim has been in the financial services business for 30 years. His firm specializes in asset management, wealth accumulation, as well as business, estate, and financial planning. Jim holds Series 7 and 24 licenses with FINRA. Jim is a member of National Association of Insurance and Financial Advisors. Jim actively serves on several Board of Directors with Sharp Healthcare.
Carl Sheeler, PhD, CBA, AVA
Strategic Value Architect
Many organizations are drowning in minutiae that prevents them from growing company value. They often don’t know what they don’t know, which limits their options. It’s vital they have an executed strategy that identifies relevant resources and reduces risks to get from status quo to goal achievement. Most solely focus on the financial top and bottom line. In fact, it is an insufficient measure of performance and will not get you from here to there. It’s essential you master human capital that allows you to leverage the right team of aligned advisors and staff.
I have assisted over 1200 mid-market to mid-cap companies with their planned and unplanned transitions, transfers and transactions. I was awarded the Alliance of Merger and Acquisition Advisors Mid-Market Thought Leader of the Year for 2015.
There are circumstances where an (in)action creates an event or conflict of interest that can end up in a messy dispute. These disputes can have significant damage or economic loss to value, income, assets and/or equity. Whenever there is a complex messy issue, it’s best to secure a seasoned financial expert who is a warrior statesman possessing the intellectual rigor to articulate well-supported findings in an easily understood way.
My findings are delivered in an objective report that captures the most germane issues presented to the trier of fact by bringing 25 years of court qualified expert testimony on over 175 disputes.
Melisa Silverman, JD, CVA, CEPA, CMEA
Partner – The Founders Group, President – Avenue M Advisors, Inc.
Ms. Silverman is a Partner in The Founders Group, a national company focused on providing business transition services for closely held companies using a holistic and collaborative process that interferes the least in the business, yields business results increasing cash flow, profits and business value and frees up time for the business owner.
Ms. Silverman is also the President of Avenue M Advisors, Inc., a national, boutique business valuation and consulting services company.
Previously, Ms. Silverman worked for and consulted with large and medium size companies such as Sonare Technologies, a division of Herman Miller, Peregrine Systems and 3E Company.
Ms. Silverman’s experience includes:
- Performing valuations for investment purposes, such as partner buyout, ESOP compliance, IP valuations to tax related purposes, such as a company structure conversion, potential capital gains tax, estate and gift tax compliance, IRC §409A compliance, purchase price allocations; to litigation support purposes, such as a divorce, shareholder dispute, bankruptcy, lost profits determination or intellectual properties.
- Working with companies in the preparation of their business for sale, performing due diligence, performing financial and operational assessments, strategic and business planning, developing cash flow projections, feasibility studies, assessments, creating business development strategies, analysis of potential acquisitions, assisting clients with financing needs, and much more.
- Negotiating with strategic partners and assisting them with sales, marketing, training and operations to sell the Company’s products and services. Focus on vertical markets including retail, utilities, transportation, healthcare and manufacturing.
- Involvement in multiple acquisitions and participated in the due diligence, negotiations, acquisition announcements and integration plans and implementation of the acquired companies.
Indiana University, Bloomington, IN – 1991
- Bachelor of Arts Degree in Political Science and Psychology
- Dean’s List
Nova Southeastern Shepard Broad Law Center, Ft. Lauderdale, FL – 1995
- Juris Doctorate Degree
- Book Award, Legal Research & Writing
- Moot Court Society
- Certified Exit Planning Advisor (CEPA) from the Exit Planning Institute (EPI)
- Certified Valuation Analyst (CVA) from the National Association of Certified Valuators and Analysts (NACVA). NACVA’S CVA® designation is the only valuation credential accredited by the National Commission for Certifying Agencies® (NCCA®), the accreditation body of the Institute for Credentialing Excellence™ (ICE™)
- Senior Business Analyst (SBA) from the International Society of Business Analysts
- Certified Machinery & Equipment Appraiser (CMEA) from the National Equipment & Business Brokers Institute
- Member, National Association of Certified Valuation Analysts (NACVA)
- Member, Exit Planning Institute (EPI)
- Founder & Member, Los Angeles Exit Planning Institute Chapter
- Member, International Society of Business Analysts (ISBA)
- Member, National Equipment & Business Brokers Institute (NEBB)
- Member of The ESOP Association
- Member of National Center for Employee Ownership (NCEO)
- Member, the California Bar Association – IP Practice Section
- Member, Provisors Network
- Member, The Exchange
- Member, Beverly Hills Estate Planning Council
- Member, Horizon LA Network
- Former Member, Business Forums International
- Presentation on the Pitfalls of Buy Sell Agreements and Valuation Issues at The Gathering Conference
- Presentation on Business Transitions for Estate & Succession Planning Groups
- Presentation on Valuation and Company Assessment for the Los Angeles Exit Planning Institute Chapter
- Keynote presentation to the California Bar Association – IP Practice Section Annual Meeting on Auditing IP Assets
- Presenter on Panel for the California Community Foundation on Valuing Illiquid Assets
- Presentation to the San Fernando Business Bar Association on Business Valuations for Legal Purposes
- Monthly Presentation to Maverick Angels Investment Accelerator Companies
- Presentation to Entrepreneurs and Advisors on Business Valuations of Early Stage Companies
- Taught on Business Valuations in the Real World at Pepperdine University, Graziadio School of Business and Management
- Taught on Business Valuations for Early Stage Companies at LAVA Women’s Event and monthly Maverick Angels Accelerator Program
- Wrote Article that was turned into an IP Valuation Basics Q&A Interview for Brandaide
- Presented to numerous law firms on Using a Business Valuation to Identify and Mitigate a Client’s Risk in Planning the Exit Strategy
- Presented on Minority Discounts – Defend Them or Lose Them. This presentation was given to numerous Estate Planning Council groups, trust companies, law firms and CPA firms.
Ms. Silverman lives in Los Angeles, California and enjoys a variety of outdoor activities including: tennis, golf, water sports, hiking, working out and skiing. She is involved in her community and volunteers for several non-profit organizations.
Joseph J. Strazzeri, Esq.
Principal and Founder, Strazzeri Mancini LLP,
Practicing in Estate Planning, Business Succession, Charitable Planning, Asset Protection and Retirement Issues; Former Partner, Law Office of N. Munro Merrick; Principal of The Founders Group, a Business strategies Collaborative. Frequent educator and author, Joe is also a Laureate Circle Member and Fellow of the Southern California Institute and serves on the board of several foundations including Sharp Healthcare.
Joe on SCI
Joe on Strazzeri Mancini
Maureen Verduyn, CFP®, MEd, EA
Principal and Founder, The Financial Team
Ms. Verduyn has been dedicated to the study and advancement of personal finance since 1981. Her method of coaching addresses both the financial as well as the emotional concerns of each investor. She helps you evaluate your situation and then sets a course just right for you. The analysis uncovers the facts of your situation and then her coaching provides a realistic means for you to achieve your goals.
Maureen has concentrated on the area of portfolio management and teaches this and other advanced financial subjects to investors, as well as to other professionals through programs at the Southern California Institute.
Maureen and her husband Kevin, along with their boxer-mix Gracie, live in Carlsbad and have been members of the community since 1985.
- Masters of Education, University of San Diego, Cum Laude, Finance, 1996
- BS, University of North Carolina, Magna Cum Laude, 1992
- Certified Financial Planner™, College for Financial Planning, 1987
- California Real Estate Agent
Maureen is an active Member of the Financial Planning Association; Former Adjunct Faculty Member of the College for Financial Planning; Fellow of The Southern California Institute in La Jolla, CA; and Member of the Fellowship of Graduate Estate Planning Consultants.
Maureen on SCI